Committed to Increasing Access to Child Healthcare Since 1971
In May 1971 the United Health Foundation and the Junior League of Canton opened the Well Baby Clinic -- a multi‑location healthcare service providing immunizations, physical and well-baby care to low-income families. From this beginning, the Margaret B. Shipley Child Health Clinic was formed to provide services to children whose families could not afford basic healthcare.
In May 1972, the administrative responsibility for the Clinic was delegated to the Visiting Nurse Society of Stark County, Inc., and the Well Baby Clinic was centralized in one location at 711 Second Street NE. The Clinic was relocated to our current site, 919 Second Street NE, the following year.
The Visiting Nurse Society of Stark County, Inc., began in 1898 under the charitable auspices of what would eventually become the Children's Aid Society. The Visiting Nurse Society provided administrative support, as well as the guidance and accountability to the Board of Trustees.
Over the years, numerous agencies and corporations donated time, money, and services to the Clinic. Dr. Margaret B, Shipley served the Clinic as the volunteer Medical Director for many years.
In 1979, she retired from practice to devote more time to her home and family. In honor of her years of dedicated service, the Well Baby Clinic was renamed the Margaret B. Shipley Child Health Clinic.
In 1996, the Visiting Nurse Society of Stark County, Inc., merged its home health division with the Sisters of St. Augustine/Columbia Healthcare Corporation partnership. The Board of Trustees chose to continue the tradition of a nonprofit healthcare provision to patients and families by retaining and incorporating the Clinic into the Margaret B. Shipley Child Health Clinic.
Today, the Clinic continues to provide well and sick healthcare to over 6,000 children not only in Stark County, but Carroll, Tuscarawas, Columbiana and Summit counties.
Our Clinic knows no boundaries--geographic nor economic.